Monday, May 3, 2010

Getting Laid Off

Wow! It's been awhile since I have written anything! I'm ready to get back on the computer and start writing again. Now, more than ever I could use the outlet. I just got laid off from my job about 3 weeks ago. I never imagined the emotional roller coaster that would come with it. I had worked in a smaller office of a big local chain of doctors. I was 2 months shy of my 5 year anniversary and let go like a nameless number in a large corporation. It came as a huge surprise because I had been there longer than almost every other employee, never had any kind of disciplinary action and there wasn't any notification that they were going to be laying any employees off. I know the company is in financial distress, but I felt secure because I know that I am a better employee than the other people in my same field. However, since I was there the longest I did make the most money which I feel had a huge role in me being laid off.

The worst part of it though is losing the people I worked with. There was a group of 6 of us who all started within 2 months of each other and we were all close in age, 4 of us had our first child within a year so we were there for each other through the births, birthday parties, wedding, funerals and many other personal problems we were going through. They were such a support system and like family to me. When I was let go, everyone but one person stopped talking to me. That really broke my heart because I truly loved these women and would of done anything for them.

So, now I'm part of the unemployed epidemic that is spreading in this country and hardly anyone in the city I live in is hiring. I'm thinking about possibly going back to school. Someone told me they thought I could get grants for being laid off that will help pay for school. I'll have to check into that soon. For now I'm spending time with my daughter and enjoying the nicer weather. Also, as an adult how often do we get to take a couple months off?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! :)